Kinder Verse™ are a deck of 54 2.5″x3.5″ playing cards. The face of each card bears an image illustrating a portion of a popular traditional nursery rhyme. Below the image is a portion of the text of that rhyme. All together, the set includes the text of 12 nursery rhymes.
Kinder Verse cards merge seamlessly with Penfeathers to provide a gateway to the world of reading and literature, spanning the years from infancy to first grade in an integrated approach to learning that combines rhyming, reading, memory and pattern recognition with the healthy adult interaction that promotes academic success.
As flash cards they are colorful tools for interactive learning. They can be used during story time, drawn one at a time to teach children the Rhymes we all loved as kids. The bright colorful images will naturally captivate the attention and imagination of babies and toddlers. For older kids the fun and action of Rhyme Rummy bridges the gaps from storytime to problem solving for beginning readers.
Set comes complete with a box to store the cards and a booklet containing the full list of rhymes and rules for playing “Rhyme Rummy”.
In the opening of Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland (1865), Alice expresses her informed opinion by asking, “what is the use of a book…without pictures or conversation?” Of course, Alice’s demand for images to illustrate the text had been a norm of Victorian publishing for forty years. In addition, poetry and reality merge and trade places in the wonderland she is drawn into. Integrating art into nursery rhymes provides general children with all the tools they need to learn by integrating art with reading.
Nursery rhymes come to us from many lands, handed down from generation to generation. Reciting nursery rhymes helps young learners:
- learn their alphabet
- develop an awareness of phonics
- practice beginning reading skills
- connect literature to real experiencesNursery rhymes are one of the first ways that children discover the rhythm and rhyme of language. They are educational and fun! Use these cards as an aid in bedtime stories, as reading flash cards, as a memory game, or as a fun and kid friendly form of rummy.These cards are great for households with children of varying ages, since older children will find them entertaining and educational and a natural catalyst for reading tutorial. Pre-school aged children will respond to these cards just like flash cards or children’s books. For older children, and even adults, the rummy-like card game can provide hours of entertainment and personal interaction (re. quality time).
Nursery Rhymes in this Set:
- Jack and Jill
- Rain, Rain, Go Away
- Hey Diddle-Diddle
- Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater
- It’s Raining; It’s Pouring
- Humpty Dumpty
- Little Miss Muffet
- Jack Sprat
- Jack Be Nimble
- Rock A-Bye Baby
- Star Light, Star Bright
- Hickory, Dickery, Dock
Kinder Verse ™ Expansion Pack
The Kinder Verse™ expansion pack adds 11 new more challenging rhymes to your existing Kinder Verse™ Deck. Kinder Verse™ are a deck of 54 additional full color playing cards. The face of each card bears an image illustrating a portion of a popular traditional nursery rhyme. Below the image is a portion of the text of that rhyme.
The expansion pack increases the number cards and level of difficulty, by adding longer rhymes. By adding an expansion pack you can extend the life of your fun and keep the interest of older children who have outgrown the starter deck.
An expansion pack will work great as flash cards or an aid to bedtime stories, but to play Kinder Verse rummy you will need the starter deck which includes instructions and a convenient storage container.
Nursery Rhymes in this Set:
- Baa Baa Black Sheep
- Diddle Diddle Dumpling
- Georgy Porgey
- Hickory Dickory Dock
- Little Bo Peep
- Sing a Song of Six Pence
- There Was a Crooked Man
- Three Blind Mice
- Vintery Mintery
The images were drawn with pen and ink then scanned and colored with a popular vector drawing software. The cards are professionally printed and packaged.
On sale Now at Etsy